This year has been a good year for Biblical Foundations™ pursuing its mission to strengthen marriage and the family in the home, the church, and society as we long to see all the world rest of biblical foundations. We are particularly grateful to Crossway for releasing Marriage and the Family: Biblical Essentials this year, an abridged version of God, Marriage, and the Family.
Here, then, are the top ten books in biblical studies from 2012, in terms of their potential influence and utility:
1. Darrell Bock, A Theology of Luke and Acts (Zondervan). This, the second volume in the Biblical... Read More
Amazing it’s already the end of 2011. Where did this year go? In any case, it’s time to ponder the best biblical and theological books of the year. As usual, this list is unapologetically subjective. Also, while I contributed to the flood of publications myself (Excellence, Invitation to Biblical Interpretation), I did not include any of my own books. So, then, here are my picks:
1. G. K. Beale, A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New (Baker): In my blurb, I say, “Beale’s volume is far reaching, written at a high scholarly level, and... Read More
Publishers and authors have been at it again, and 2010 was a rich year for serious academic publishing in biblical and theological studies. As a matter of fact, I have made a tiny contribution to the deluge of materials myself by releasing The Heresy of Orthodoxy (Crossway, co-authored with Michael Kruger), the second edition of God, Marriage & Family (Crossway, with David Jones), and Entrusted with the Gospel (B&H Academic, co-edited with Terry Wilder), along with several smaller essays. That said, here is my list of “The Best of 2010.” Disclaimer: I haven’t read all these... Read More
The year 2009 has once again seen the publication of plenty of significant works in the area of biblical and theological studies. Here is my list of the “Best of 2009.” Disclaimer: “best” means significant and potentially influential; I do not necessarily endorse the views represented in these books, not have I as of yet read all of their contents.
1. Bruce Ware, Big Truths for Young Hearts (Crossway): a theological treasure for training the next generation.
2. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (ed. John Walton; Zondervan): the equivalent to the New... Read More
The end (of the year) is near, and once again it’s time to list the best books in biblical and theological studies that appeared in 2008. This year seems to have been an especially fruitful year for publications in these areas. Here is my list:
1. The ESV Study Bible (Crossway): While people may debate the merits of the ESV as a translation, the qualities of the ESV Study Bible are indisputable. An exquisitely produced, high-quality product that sets a new standard for study Bibles.
2. Eckhard Schnabel, Paul the Missionary (InterVarsity Press): A worthy sequel to Schnabel’s landmark... Read More
Books in Bible and theology continue to pour from the presses at an ever-accelerating pace. Surely, of the making of books there is no end … (in fact, I’m working on a few myself right now). In case anyone is interested, here is my “completely objective” list of the “Best of 2007,” ranked in order of importance. As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions regarding any additions or subtractions.
1. Greg Beale and D. A. Carson, eds. Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Baker. In the interest of full disclosure, I contributed “John” to this volume,... Read More
Since this is the first year of the Biblical Foundations book awards, books published in 2003–2006 were eligible. Awards are given with strict impartiality and based solely on academic merit. No favoritism as to authors or publishers. Books I wrote, endorsed, or to which I contributed in any way are ineligible. This is a no-spin zone! Who says CT or the ECPA should be the only games in town? These are the best per category, including a brief rationale:
Bible, Commentary & Reference
Kevin J. Vanhoozer, ed. Dictionary for the Theological Interpretation of the Bible. Grand Rapids: Baker,... Read More